Friday, March 2, 2012

Cappuccino

Sometimes things become more clear. Today was one of those days. I realized its not about me or my cappuccino. There are things in life that transcend the ordinary and comfortable, familiar and predictable. Today we saw more children from the PIO orphanage at the former dump site location. My interpreter was a 33 year old Cambodian woman who has 2 young boys and teaches at the school. Her story is a familiar one here. Her husband died and today she works 3 jobs to support her family. The line of children was endless. Lots of extractions, abscesses, and fractured teeth to repair. One older boy fell from the roof of a moving taxi and broke his front teeth. It is cheaper to hitch a ride on the roof than to sit in the cabin. Tomorrow will be our last day treating patients. Though we are all exhausted, we feel like we have been part of something necessary and special. My body will appreciate the rest but I realize when I leave, i will leave something indescribable behind. I am already looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment