Thursday, February 16, 2012

Having completed a successful dental mission to Jamaica in January, I am excited to pack my bags once again and travel to Cambodia. 

Our patients on this trip will be children, many of whom are ophans.  In Cambodia, 1 out of every 14 persons is an orphan.  I am told that on an average trip the KIDS organization will see 1100 children.  I'm not sure if Jamie and I should rest-up or train harder for this mission? 

We will be treating children in the rural countryside, in Phnom Penh, and at the Stung Meanchey Municipal Dump.  It is estimated that there are about 2000 people who live and work around the dump.  Of this number approximately 600 are children who are rubbish pickers.  While some of these children attend school, most do not.  They earn the equivalent of .50 to .75 cents per day.  Interestingly, a whole family working at the dump can earn more together than they would if they stayed in their rural village.  However, the lack of education perpetuates their poverty.

So, with one week left before our departure, I'm looking forward to the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment